So Who Is This Radz Guy Anyways?
1. (Reluctantly) applied to college in 2007 after graduating from Lorne Park SS, contributed here, there & other places too. Thankfully, I eventually graduated in 2011 with a Marketing Diploma from Sir Sandford Fleming
2. Passed on a job offer with a Canadian Fortune 500 company to start a business with a few local investors and business owners
3. Got clients , investors ($200K worth), renovated offices, merged with another company (grew from 3 to 13+ people very quickly).
4. I didn’t like the direction we were going in, so I left. But I learned a ton about business & life from what I call “The Syber Experience”.
5. After googling Uncollege & Charlie Hoehn, I started teaching myself about history & how to build a world class brand. Now I’m blogging about it, making it through the early rounds of selection for the Thiel Fellowship, working my college debt away & charting out the next 5 years of my life business wise.
6. I’m also starting another company that’s launching in early 2013 called rez connect that will help students across the province, and eventually the nation, find compatible room mates with my partner Rob
You can follow me on Quora here
I’m Radz. I’m 22 years old. Back in April 2011, I graduated from the most under rated college in Canada with an ahem, *Advanced* (lol) Marketing diploma. And like the majority of my fellow graduating class out there that has started blasting out resumes in December, I didn’t get a job right out of college like I thought I would.
But after reading and applying Charlie Hoehn’s advice
I got 2 offers in June; A Marketing Manager position with a Fortune 500 company in Canada & to co-found an online marketing start up. Took a risk & went with the latter to understand what it takes to launch a business in the “real world”. Even though it predictably didn’t end up making me a billionaire like I originally thought it would, I still learned a lot about what it takes to thrive in the chaos & instability of the real world.
I refer to those 7 months as the “Syber Experience”. I probably grew more in those few months more than I have in the past 2 years of college.
Being a part of that venture and learning more about the net, led me to Dale Stephens.
Dale is a fellow of a fund put on by Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel.
Finding out about The Thiel Fellowship opened up my eyes to the modern day Rome that is Silicon Valley & how this is one of the best times in history to become an entrepreneur. I went from not knowing what I was going to do with my life to realizing in order to save “Turtle Island” (North America) we need to revamp our education system, we still have a chance to stay at the top if we’re willing to fight for it.
Although I had just graduated & was starting a business, Charlie, Dale & Peter inspired me to become a self taught polymath of practical skills (i.e. speed reading & coding), history, technology, entrepreneurship and alternative education along engaging in my own artistic talents in order to help change the world in my own little way.
This blog is going to share my journey with you & more importantly, everything we learn together along the way.